Southern Cooked Greens II
- 1/2 pound bacon chopped
- 3 cups chopped yellow onions
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar - (firmly packed)
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 6 cups water
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 6 pounds assorted greens washed, stemmed
- (such as mustard greens, collard greens, turnip greens, kale and/or spinach)
In a large pot, saute the bacon until slightly crisp. Add the onions and season with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Cook 6 to 7 minutes, until the onions are wilted and golden. Add the brown sugar and stir to dissolve. Add the shallots and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes. Add the water and vinegar and mix well.
Begin adding the greens, a third at a time, pressing them down as they begin to wilt. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, uncovered, until the greens are soft, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Serve hot.
This recipe yields 8 servings.