Smoked Sausage, Butternut Squash And Wild Rice Soup
- 1 medium butternut squash - (abt 1 1/2 to 2 lbs)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 12 cups chicken stock
- 2 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup wild rice
- 3/4 pound smoked sausage, such as kielbasa cut 1/4" slices
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Season the squash with 1 tablespoon of the oil, salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet and roast for 1 hour. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
Peel and seed the squash. In a blender, puree the squash with 2 cups of the chicken stock. Puree until smooth and set aside.
In a saucepan, over medium heat, bring 4 cups of the stock and 1/2 cup of the chopped onions to a simmer. Stir in the rice and cook until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 1 hour, stirring occasionally with a fork. Remove the rice from the pan and cool.
In a large saucepan, over medium heat, add the remaining tablespoon of oil. When the oil is hot, add the sausage and brown for 3 minutes. Add the remaining 2 cups onions and corn. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté for 3 minutes. Add the remaining 6 cups of stock and squash puree. Bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Skim off any fat that rises to the surface. Stir in the rice and continue to cook for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in the cream and reason with salt and pepper. Stir in the parsley and serve.
This recipe yields 10 servings.
You'll also love
- Smoked Gouda Cheese Macaroni 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Seared Salmon With A Wild Mushroom... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Seared Foie Gras With Pain Perdu... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Salt Cod And Lobster Cakes With... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Rock Shrimp And Mozzarella Strudel... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Roasted Butternut Squash Ravioli... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pumpkin Gnocchi With Brown Butter... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pastrami Spice-Encrusted Venison... 0/5 (0 Votes)