Strawberry Salad with a Balsamic Reduction
This light, refreshing salad combines the sweetness of strawberries with the tanginess of balsamic vinegar and goat cheese. It’s the perfect appetizer for a summer meal.
Tip: If you like, use fresh blueberries or fresh raspberries instead of strawberries. You needn’t even chop the blueberries or raspberries; leave them whole.
- Balsamic Reduction:
- 3/4 cup strawberries, chopped
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 (7-oz) bag green leaf lettuce
- 1 (6-oz) bag baby spinach
- 1/2 red onion, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, lightly toasted
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, rinsed and sliced
- 3/4 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup strawberry balsamic reduction
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
To prepare the reduction, heat the vinegar, sugar, and strawberries in a 2-qt stockpot until boiling. Reduce the heat medium-low and cook until the mixture thickens. (It will reduce by about half). Strain and let the mixture cool.
To assemble the salad, place the first 6 ingredients in a large salad bowl, add the extra virgin oil and balsamic reduction, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss gently until the greens are fully coated with the dressing.