Lentils, Red Endive and Honey Cashews
- 1 c green or Puy lentils
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 T olive oil, divided
- 3 T red wine vinegar
- 5 T honey, divided
- 1/4 t red pepper flakes
- 1/2 t ground tumeric
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/4 lb unsalted roasted cashews, broken into pieces
- 4 red ednives, quartered lengthwise
- 1/2 c roughly chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 c roughly chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 c roughly chopped fresh dill
1. Place lentils and bay leaves in medium saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 15 minutes or until lentils are tender. Drain and return to pan. Stir in 3 T oil, vinegar and 2 1/2 T honey; season with salt and pepper if desired. Discard bay leaves and cool until just warm.
2. Preheat oven to 300F and line baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine remaining 2 1/2T honey, red pepper flakes, turmeric and salt in small bowl. Add 1 t water or enough to make thick paste. Add cashew pieces and stir to coat. Spread cashews on prepared baking sheet, and roast 15-20 minutes or until nuts are crunchy and dry but slightly sticky. Cool on pan.
3. Heat remaining 3 T oil in skillet over high heat; add endives, and sprinkle with salt, if desired. Cook endives 2 minutes, turning once, just to soften. Transfer to large bowl. Add lentils, cashews, parsley, basil & dill, & season w/salt and pepper if desired. Stir gently & serve warm or at room temperature.