Pastrami Spice-Encrusted Venison With Huckleberry Ketchup
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons white peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons allspice berries
- 6 dried red chiles - (to 8)
- 1 piece dried gingerroot - (2" long)
- 1 piece cinnamon stick - (2" long)
- 6 dried bay leaves
- 4 tablespoons Kosher salt
- 1 cup juniper berries
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 4 pounds venison loin trimmed of excess
- fat and silver skin
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Huckleberry ketchup for serving
In a spice mill or with a mortar and pestle, grind the spices and sugar into a paste, working in batches as necessary. Combine the ground spices in a small bowl.
On a sheet of plastic wrap place the venison loin and lightly dust on all sides with the pastrami spices, then wrap tightly. Refrigerate the wrapped loin for at least 12 hours and up to 24 hours.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a large sauté or roasting pan heat the vegetable oil over high heat. Add the venison to the pan and sear quickly on all sides, being careful not to burn the spices. Place the seared venison in the preheated oven for about 45 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into its center reads 142 degrees.
Remove the loin from the oven, and let rest covered for 15 minutes before carving and serving with the huckleberry ketchup.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
You'll also love
- Pan Crispy Striped Bass With Lump... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Overstuffed Pumpkin With... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Opelousas Sweet Potatoes 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Lobster Boudan With A Fresh Lemon... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Homemade Spicy Turkey Sausage 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Foie De Veau À La Lyonnaise Veal... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Creamy Cranberry Bread Pudding 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Classic Duck A Lorange 0/5 (0 Votes)