Pan Crispy Striped Bass With Lump Crab Meat, Shiitake Salad
- ROASTED SHIITAKE MUSHROOMS:
- 6 striped bass fillets - (6 oz ea) skin on
- 1 pound jumbo lump crab meat shells picked
- 1/4 cup clarified butter
- 1 lemon juiced
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/4 pound unsalted butter cold, and cut into pieces
- 4 bunches watercress fleshy stems removed
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground white pepper to taste
- 1 pound shiitake mushrooms cleaned
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary
- Olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
For the Roasted Shiitake Mushrooms: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. In a large bowl, toss together the mushrooms, garlic, herbs, olive oil and salt and pepper. Place the mushrooms on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
Heat a 14-inch saute pan to medium-high. Dry the skin side of the filets with a cloth. Generously season both sides of the fish with salt and white pepper. Add the clarified butter to the pan and place 3 of the fillets in the pan skin-side down. Cook for 3 minutes and gently turn using a fish spatula. Cook an additional 2 minutes and reserve on absorbent cloth. Cook the other fillets in the same fashion.
Wipe the hot pan out with a dry clean cloth. Add the cold butter to the pan and swirl around. Allow the butter to brown. Carefully add the crabmeat to the pan and use a wooden spoon to gently stir the pan. Add the lemon juice and parsley. Remove from the heat.
In a medium mixing bowl, combine the warm mushrooms and their oil with the watercress. Place some of the mixture on a plate. Place fillet of fish skin-side up on top of the salad and top with a generous amount of the crab meat mixture.
This recipe yields 6 servings.