Overstuffed Pumpkin With Cornbread, Apples And Turkey Sausage
- 1 pumpkin
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 celery ribs chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley divided
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh sage divided
- 2 Granny Smith apples peeled and cubed
- 2 pounds ground turkey sausage
- 3/4 cup Sauvignon Blanc wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 package cornbread stuffing - (16 oz)
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
Cut off the lid of the pumpkin and set it aside. Pull out the seeds and strings from inside the pumpkin. Brush the inside flesh with melted butter, season with salt and pepper. Place pumpkin on a roasting pan and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 15 minutes.
In a large skillet, heat oil over moderate heat. Add onion, celery, garlic, celery seed, fennel seed and 2 tablespoons each parsley and sage. Cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the apples and cook 2 minutes. Add the ground sausage, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, and brown until no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Deglaze the pan with wine, cook down 2 minutes to evaporate the alcohol. Stir in the cream, check seasoning.
Scrape the sausage mixture into a large bowl and fold in the cornbread. Gradually blend in the eggs and chicken broth, until the stuffing is evenly moistened. Add remaining parsley and sage. Fill the pumpkin with stuffing, return to the oven and bake 20 minutes until the eggs are cooked and the stuffing has a little lift. Serve stuffing in the pumpkin bowl topped with lid.
This recipe yields ?? servings.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (890 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.4/5 (896 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (741 Votes)
- Sausage, Egg & Biscuit Casserole 4.5/5 (706 Votes)
- Crockpot Cheese Tortellini and... 4.5/5 (678 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (498 Votes)
- Impossible Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes 4.5/5 (405 Votes)
- Oven-Roasted Smoked Sausage &... 4.4/5 (424 Votes)