Kicked-Up Smoked Salmon And Scallop Koulibiaca
- FOR THE KOULIBIACA:
- 32 large sea scallops cut into thirds
- to form flat disc shapes
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon white truffle oil
- 16 sheets Phyllo dough defrosted, and covered with damp towel for working
- 1/2 pound melted butter
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 pound sliced smoked salmon
- 64 very-thin slices black truffle
- 1 pound spinach blanched, and excess liquid removed
- 3 hard-boiled eggs chopped
- FOR THE SAUCE:
- 3 medium shallots finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 6 ounces unsalted butter cut small pieces
- 2 ounces truffle butter cut small pieces
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground white pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Marinate scallops in lemon juice and truffle oil and season with salt and white pepper while you are preparing the other ingredients.
On a clean, dry countertop place 1 sheet of phyllo with short side closest to you and brush with melted butter. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of dry bread crumbs and cover with another sheet of phyllo. Place smoked salmon slices on phyllo, covering an area about 2 inches by 4 inches about 1/4 way up the pieces of phyllo.
Place 4 pieces of scallops on top of this, top scallops with slices of truffle, then top with 4 more pieces of scallop, drizzling with melted butter between layers. Now put a thin layer of blanched spinach, top with 4 more pieces of scallops, then a layer of chopped egg, finally topping with another layer of smoked salmon, drizzling with butter between layers.
Fold edge of phyllo closest to you over on top of salmon, fold in left and right edges, then roll koulibiaca up completely. Continue with remaining phyllo and filling to make a total of 8 packets. Brush tops with melted butter, and refrigerate 10 minutes before baking. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown on top. Serve immediately with sauce.
For the sauce: In a small saucepan, combine the shallots, vinegar and wine and reduce to 1/4 cup. Add the heavy cream and reduce by half. Slowly whisk in the cold butter, adding the truffle butter last. Season the sauce with salt and white pepper. Serve immediately.
This recipe yields 8 (1-ounce) servings.
You'll also love
- Homemade Spicy Turkey Sausage 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Gumbo Turkey Ya-Ya 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pimento And Bacon Clams 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Crawfish And Artichoke Risotto... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Chef Chris Tasso-Cured Salmon... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- BBQ Salmon Over Andouille Potato... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Hot Mayonnaise-Glazed Scallops 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Scallops With Tarragon Butter Sauce 0/5 (0 Votes)