Chicken Cacciatore - Baked
This recipe is designed to bake over a long time. It's perfect for entertaining because all of the prep-work and cooking are completed before your guests arrive. You can enjoy your company, then pull it out of the oven when it's time to eat!
- 1-2 lbs chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1-2 Tbl Olive Oil
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 Tbl fresh minced garlic
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 3 Tbl tomato paste (1/2 small can)
- 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 (14 oz) can sliced black olives
- 1 teaspoon salt (or use white salt, or to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 200mins
Adapted from Image from powerofmushrooms.com.au
1. Preheat Oven to 300°
2. Heat olive oil in large pan over medium heat.
3. Add mushrooms, onions, green bell pepper, and garlic. Saute until soft.
4. Stir in oregano, basil, salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper. Cook 1-2 minutes.
5. Stir in tomato paste. Cook an additional 1-2 minutes.
6. Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, white wine, and olives.
7. Transfer to a large oven safe casserole dish.
8. Arrange chicken pieces in mixture.
9. Cover and cook for 3 hours. Serve over pasta
Image from powerofmushrooms.com.au