Paprika Short-Rib Beef Stew
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tbsp hot paprika
- 2 tsp pimenton (smoked Spanish paprika)
- 1 1/2 about 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 about 1 tsp black pepper
- 4 lbs bone-in-beef short ribs
- 4 strips thick-cut bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 bottle beer (12 oz)
- 1 can (14.5)whole peeled tomatoes, chopped and juices reserved
- 2 lbs Yukon Gold or russet potatoes
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Combine flour, hot paprika, smoked paprika, 1 tsp salt, and 1 tsp pepper in a large bowl or large resealable plastic bag. Working in batches of 2 or 3, toss short ribs with flour mixture.
2. In a large Dutch oven or other heavy ovenproof pot over medium-high heat, cook bacon until fat renders. Transfer bacon with a slotted spoon to paper towels and reserve. Add short ribs and brown on all sides, 3 to 5 minutes per side.
3. Chop reserved bacon and set aside. Transfer short ribs to a plate and reserve. Add onion and 1/2 tsp salt to pot and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add beer and using a wooden spoon or spatula, scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Add tomatoes and their juices and reserved bacon. Increase heat to high and bring mixture to a boil. Return short ribs to pot, cover, and bake two hours.
4. Peel potatoes and cut into 1-inch pieces. Add to short ribs, cover, and bake until potatoes are tender and meat pulls away easily from the bone, about 30 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Spoon off excess fat and serve.