Olive Oil Lemon/Orange cake
from Well Daily, Taided's Olive Oil Cake. Reduces calories and substitutes EVOO for butter
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan with olive oil.
In a stand mixer's bowl, blend the olive oil, orange zest and sugar until light and fluffy. One by one, add the eggs, beating well after each addition and scraping down the sides of the mixing bowl in between. Add the vanilla extract, and beat to blend.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder and salt.
Add about ¼ of the flour mixture to the olive oil mixture, then beat on low speed to incorporate. Add ⅓ of the milk or yogurt and beat again. Add the remaining flour mixture in three more doses, alternating each time with a bit of buttermilk, and beating to combine. Remove the bowl from the mixer. Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the sides of the bowl and stir to incorporate any flour not yet absorbed.
Scrape the batter into the prepared pan, spreading it evenly across the top. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a rack for 20 minutes; then remove the cake and continue to cool.
When the cake has cooled and is ready to serve, place a slice on a plate and voilà!
You'll also love
- Apple Crisp 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Linguine with Shrimp and Creamy... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Spicy Beet Cake 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Karen's Coconut Shrimp 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Lemon Horseradish sauce 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Watermelon Wedges with Lime and... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Lemony Maple Sweet Potatoes 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Mini Orange Bundt Cakes 0/5 (0 Votes)