Eggplant Pomodoro Pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium eggplant (about 1 pound), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1/3 cup chopped pitted green olives
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 4 teaspoons capers, rinsed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 12 ounces whole-wheat angel hair pasta
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, or basil
Preparation time 35mins
Cooking time 35mins
1.Put a pot of water to boil.
2Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add eggplant and cook, stirring occasionally, until just softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add tomatoes, olives, vinegar, capers, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper (if using) and cook, stirring until the tomatoes begin to break down, 5 to 7 minutes more.
3.Meanwhile, cook pasta in boiling water until just tender, about 6 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and divide the pasta among 6 shallow bowls. Spoon the sauce over the pasta and sprinkle parsley (or basil) on top.