Fresh Horseradish Sauce
- 3/4 cup freshly-grated horseradish (or bottled, if not prepared with cream)
- 3 tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground white pepper to taste
In a saucepan, combine the horseradish, shallots, garlic, mustard and cream. Season with salt and pepper. Bring the liquid to a boil, whisking gently. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, for about 12 minutes. Remove from the heat and keep warm.
This recipe yields about 2 cups.