Eggnog Made Lighter
Homemade eggnog is so much better than what you can buy in the dairy section of the store. This recipe is made lighter using low fat milk and fat-free half-and-half, so lighten-up this holiday season while still enjoying your favorite seasonal treats.
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 quarts 2% milk
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons rum extract
- 4 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 35mins
Adapted from tasteofhome.com
In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, flour, and salt. Gradually whisk in milk and eggs until smooth. Cook and stir over low heat until a thermometer reads 160°F, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in extracts. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled, about 2 hours.
Just before serving, strain eggnog mixture; stir in the half-and-half and nutmeg. Pour into glasses.
One serving (3/4 cup) equals 197 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 79 mg cholesterol, 194 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 8 g protein.
Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 reduced-fat milk.
You'll also love
- Eggnog 4.5/5 (47 Votes)
- Eggnog Latte 4.5/5 (21 Votes)
- Fillet of Beef au Poivre 4.3/5 (9 Votes)
- Harvest Salad with Apple Cider... 4.2/5 (18 Votes)
- Cream Cheese Corn with Jalapenos 4/5 (81 Votes)
- Sparkling Cranberry White... 4/5 (46 Votes)
- Crunchy Veggie Wrap 4.4/5 (11 Votes)
- Lebanese Stuffed Grape Leaves 3.9/5 (12 Votes)