Citrus Salad with Fennel Vinaigrette
- 1 large egg white
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup sesame seeds
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 small fennel bulb, finely chopped, plus 1/2 cup chopped fronds
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped peeled ginger
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 4 navel oranges, blood oranges, tangerines, and/or grapefruit
- 10 cups mixed hardy salad greens (such as radicchio, frisée, and/or endive; about 1 pound)
- 1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
Adapted from epicurious.com
For sesame clusters:
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Whisk egg white in a small bowl until slightly
foamy; whisk in sugar, salt, cinnamon,
cloves, and nutmeg. Add sesame seeds and
toss to coat.
Spoon sesame mixture in clumps on
a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake,
stirring occasionally, until golden brown,
10–12 minutes. Let cool.
DO AHEAD: Sesame clusters can
be made 1 week ahead. Store airtight
at room temperature.
For dressing and salad:
Heat oil in a
medium skillet over medium heat. Add
chopped fennel, shallot, ginger, and fennel
seeds and cook, stirring often, until tender
(do not let brown), 8–10 minutes. Mix in
vinegar and honey. Let cool; season with
salt and pepper.
Finely grate 1 teaspoon zest from 1 orange;
set aside. Using a sharp knife, cut all peel
and white pith from all oranges; discard. Cut
between membranes to release segments
into a medium bowl; discard membranes.
Toss greens, parsley, fennel fronds,
oranges, and dressing in a large bowl.
Serve topped with sesame clusters and
reserved orange zest.
DO AHEAD: Dressing can be made 1 day
ahead. Cover and chill.
You'll also love
- Pork Chops stuffed with Gouda &... 4.4/5 (8 Votes)
- Moroccan Roasted Carrot and... 4.4/5 (8 Votes)
- Kale Salad with Mango and Coconut 4/5 (9 Votes)
- Pumpkin Cranberry Nut Bread 4.4/5 (8 Votes)
- HCG Diet Cucumber Orange Salad 4.4/5 (8 Votes)
- Sweet Orange Shrimp 4.4/5 (8 Votes)
- Pickled Cucumber & Fennel Meze 4.4/5 (5 Votes)