Escargot A La Provence
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 3 dozen fresh snails purged, and removed from the shell
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4 tablespoons cold butter cut small pieces
- 1 cup Aioli (see recipe)
- 1 cup fine dried bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon finely-chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 loaf of crusty French bread
In a large sauté pan, over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of the oil. When the oil is hot, add the shallots. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté for 1 minute. Add the snails and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Continue to sauté for 1 minute. Add the wine and bring to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes. Stir in the cold butter.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
Remove the pan from the heat. Place the snails in the porcelain snail dishes. Spoon the liquid over each snail. Spoon a teaspoon of the aioli over each snail. In a small mixing bowl, combine the bread crumbs, parsley and remaining oil. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well. Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture over the aioli.
Place the dishes on a baking dish and place on the top shelf of the oven. Broil for 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and cool slightly. Serve the snails with French Bread and wine.
This recipe yields 6 servings.