Red Beans and Rice (crockpot)
- 1 meaty ham bone
- 1 pound small dried red beans, soaked overnight and drained*
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced •salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 to 6 cups hot cooked rice
- 1 cup chopped green onions
In crockpot, combine beans with ham bone, onion, garlic, and 1 1/2 quarts water. Cover and cook on high 2 hours. Turn heat to low and cook, covered, 10 to 12 hours. Remove ham bone and mash some of the beans against the side of the pot to thicken the remaining liquid. Remove meat from bone and return meat to pot. Season with salt and pepper and serve with rice, topped with chopped green onions.
* for quick soak pour beans into boiling water and boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit for 1 hour. After the hour discard water and pour peas into the slow cooker.