Carrot Cake & Cream Cheese Frosting
This is a traditional, no-frills carrot cake recipe with rich cream cheese frosting. If you like, add some pineapple to the cake for little bursts of sweetness and acid.
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cups vegetable oil
- 1/2 cups applesauce
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- 3 cups carrots, grated (grate using large-hole grater side)
- 1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, well drained (optional)
- 1 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 60mins
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan, or 2 rounds or use cupcake liners.
In a large bowl, beat together eggs, oil, applesauce, white and brown sugar and 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla. Be careful not to over-beat! Mix in flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt nutmeg and cinnamon. Stir in carrots and drained pineapple. Fold in nuts. Pour into prepared pan.
Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Do not check cake or open oven until the baking time is at least 3/4 of the way completed. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
In a medium bowl, combine butter, cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Stir in chopped pecans. Frost the cooled cake.
You'll also love
- Makeover Lemon Pound Cake 4.5/5 (67 Votes)
- Grilled Chocolate Chip S’more... 4.6/5 (65 Votes)
- Broken Glass Jello 3.8/5 (288 Votes)
- How to cook corn perfectly,... 4.5/5 (68 Votes)
- Strawberry Banana Pancake Kebabs 4.5/5 (68 Votes)
- Olive Garden Salad and Dressing 4.4/5 (81 Votes)
- Debbie's Fresh Apple Cake 4.3/5 (81 Votes)
- Canada's Best Carrot Cake with... 4.5/5 (54 Votes)