-Makes about 3 1/2 dozen cookies
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup finely crushed red-hot candies
1. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla until well combined.
2. With the mixer on low speed, beat in flour mixture until just combined. Fold in red-ho candies. Tear off 2 sheets of waxed paper, each about 12-inches. Spoon half the dough lengthwise down the center of each sheet of paper forming a strip about 8 inches long. with your hands, roll each strip into a log about 2 inches wide and 1 inch thick. Wrap up the logs in the waxed paper.
3. Freeze for several hours until firm or freeze up to 3 months
4. To bake: preheat oven 400 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Unwrap frozen dough and with a sharp knife, slice 1/4" thick. Bake until golden brown around the edges rotating baking sheets from top to bottom and front to back. With a wide, thin metal spatula, remove from baking sheets to wire rack to cool completely.