Achari Paneer by Tarla Dalal
Achari paneer is an aromatic accompaniment, which imbibes its flavour from a mixture of seeds used in the seasoning. A simple mixture of curds, flour and a few spice powders forms the base of this delectable cottage cheese preparation.
- 1 cup paneer (cottagte cheese) cubes
- 1 tsp fennel seeds (saunf)
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
- 5 to 6 fenugreek (methi) seeds
- 1 tsp nigella seeds (kalonji)
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onions
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp black salt (sanchal)
- 3/4 cup fresh curds (dahi)
- 1 tsp plain flour (maida)
- 3 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
- 1 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
Mix the fennel seeds, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, nigella seeds, cumin seeds and asafoetida in a small bowl.
Heat the oil and add the seed mixture.
When they crackle, add the onion and saute till it turns translucent.
Add the paneer, turmeric, chilli powder, black salt and stir for some time.
Add the curds, sprinkle the plain flour and mix well.
Add the coriander and salt and bring to a boil.
Serve hot with rice or rotis.
If it is sour, add 1 tsp of milk and serve.