Canape Of Maytag Blue Cheese, Walnuts, Onion And Apple Relish
- 1 pound Maytag Blue Cheese crumbled
- 1 cup toasted walnut pieces
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground white pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup thinly-sliced onions
- 1 cup julienned Granny Smith apples
- Rice wine vinegar to taste
- 24 French bread rounds - (2" by 1/4") toasted
- Fresh parsley for garnish
In a food processor, fitted with a metal blade, combine the cheese, walnuts and cream. Puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
In a small saute pan, over medium heat, add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions and apples. Season with salt and pepper. Saute until caramelized, about 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in the vinegar to taste and cool completely.
Spread a heaping spoonful of the cheese mixture over each toasted round of French bread. Garnish with a small pile of the apple-onion mixture and parsley.
This recipe yields 24 servings.