My Own Pasta Bake
- 8 ounces dried penne
- 1 14-ounce can whole Italian-style tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 of 6-ounce can (1/3 cup) Italian-style tomato paste
- 1/4 cup tomato juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed, or 2 teaspoons snipped fresh oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 1/4 cup sliced pitted ripe olives
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese (2 ounces)
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 50mins
1.Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain; set aside.
2.Meanwhile, in a blender container or food processor bowl combine undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato juice, sugar, dried oregano (if using), and pepper. Cover and blend or process until smooth. Set aside.
3.In a large skillet cook ground beef and onion over medium-high heat until meat is brown. Drain off fat. Stir in tomato mixture. Bring boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Stir in pasta, fresh oregano (if using), and olives.
4.Divide the pasta mixture among size 10-to 12-ounce casseroles. Bake, covered, in a 375 degree oven for 15 minutes. (Or, spoon all of the pasta mixture into a 2-quart casserole. Bake covered, for 30 minutes.) Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake uncovered, about 5 minutes more or until cheese is melted.