Popover Pizza Casserole
- 1 pound ground raw turkey or ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green sweet pepper
- 1/2 of a 3-1/2-ounce package slice pepperoni, halved
- 1 15-ounce can or 1 15-1/2-ounce jar pizza sauce
- 1 2-ounce can mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 6-ounce package thinly sliced mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 55mins
1.In a large skillet cook turkey or beef, onion, and green pepper until meat is brown and vegetables are tender. Drain fat. Cut pepperoni slices in half. Stir pepperoni, pizza sauce, mushrooms, fennel seed, oregano and basil into meat mixture. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2.Meanwhile, for topping, in a small bowl combine eggs, milk, and oil. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for 1 minute. Add flour; beat 1 minute more or until smooth.
3.Grease the sides of a 13x9x2-inch baking dish; spoon meat mixture into dish. Arrange cheese slices over hot meat mixture. Pour topping over cheese, covering completely. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
5.Bake in a 400 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until topping is puffed and golden brown. Serve immediately.