Maple Glazed Duck w/Peppercorns
Roasting a whole duck!
- 3-5 pound duck
- 1 tbsp fine salt
- 2 cups maple syrup
- 1.5 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1.5 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp szechuan (or black) peppercorns, cracked
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
The night before, wash bird and pat dry (removing bag). Trim duck of excess fat, and pierce skin (but not meat!) dozens of times with a metal skewer or paring knife. Rub the duck entirely with salt, and let sit in a baking pan with wire rack, breast up in fridge overnight.
Preheat oven to 325F. Place duck and pan in oven.
After 45 minutes, pull duck out. Place on cutting board and poke skin 12 or so times (again not the meat!). Drain the rendered fat from pan into heatproof container. Turn over duck and carefully place back into pan and place back in oven. Repeat this 5 times for a total time of 4 hours. (Reserve fat for future use)
Before duck is finished, prepare sauce. In saute pan over med heat, add syrup, cayenne, coriander, peppercorns, and soy sauce, and stire for 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
Remove duck from oven, and increase heat to 425F. Place duck into large metal mixing bowl. Slowly drizzle sauce over the duck, coating completely.
Return duck to roasting pan, breast up, and cook 20 minutes, or until glaze is a dark, golden brown and skin is crispy. Transfer duck to a carving board and let rest 15 minutes before serving.
You'll also love
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Black Bean, Orange & Cucumber Salad 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Pork Ribs with Sauerkraut 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Miso-glazed Pork Tenderloin 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Cornish Game Hens with Garlic and... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Amish Style Chicken and Corn Soup 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Sautéed Veal 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Orange Ginger Glazed Cornish Hen 5/5 (1 Votes)