Tripe Oporto Style
- 1 pound tripe cooked, and cut into 1" pieces
- 1/2 pound veal shank - (to 3/4 lb)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Water to cover
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 pound cured ham small diced
- 1/2 pound chorizo sausage small diced
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 whole chicken cut into 6 pieces
- 1/4 cup Port wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons piri-piri sauce or crushed red pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup dried white beans soaked overnight, cooked until tender, and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
Season the tripe with salt and pepper. In a large saucepan, over medium heat, add the tripe and veal. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to simmer and cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until tender. Drain and cool completely. Remove the veal from the shank and set aside.
In a large sauté pan, over medium heat, add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the ham, and sauté for 1 minute. Add the sausage and continue to cook for 2 minutes. Add the onions, carrots, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Continue to sauté for 2 minutes.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Add the chicken and sauté for 1 minute. Add the port, chicken stock, cumin, red pepper and bay leaves. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
Add the tripe, veal, and beans. Continue to simmer for 20 minutes. Remove the bay leaves. Ladle into serving bowls and garnish with parsley.
This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.