gujarati khatti meethi dal
- for the tempering:
- Ingredients (american measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
- for the dal
- 3/4 cup arhar dal/tuvar dal/pigeon pea lentils
- 1 green chili + 3/4 inch ginger, crushed in a mortar pestle to a paste or about 1 tsp ginger green chili paste
- 2 tbsp peanuts
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder/haldi powder
- 2.5 cups water for pressure cooking
- 1.5 to 2 cups water to be added later
- 2 tbsp organic jaggery powder or grated jaggery
- 3 to 4 dried kokums * check notes
- salt as required
- 1.5 tbsp ghee
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds/rai
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds/sabut jeera
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds/sabut methi
- 2 to 3 small dry red chilies or 1 regular to large dry red chili, halved and deseeded
- 6-7 curry leaves/kadi patta
- a generous pinch of asafoetida/hing
- 3 to 4 cloves/laung
- 1 inch cinnamon
first pick the dal for stones etc. then rinse the lentils thoroughly in running water for 4-5 times.
add the dal in a pressure cooker along with 2.5 cups water, turmeric, ginger-green chili paste and peanuts.
pressure cook for 7 to 8 minutes on a medium flame till the dal has turned mushy and cooked very well.
mash the dal with a wooden spoon. then add 1.5 to 2 cups water to the dal.
add the jaggery powder, kokums and salt and simmer the dal for 7 to 8 minutes on a low to medium flame.
for the tempering, heat the ghee in a small pan. crackle the mustard seeds first.
then add the cumin and fenugreek seeds and fry till they are browned... just a few seconds.
then add the curry leaves, red chilies, cloves, cinnamon and asafoetida.
stir and fry for some seconds. pour this tempering on the simmering dal and continue to simmer for 5 to 6 minutes more.
you can garnish the dal with coriander leaves if you prefer.
serve the gujarati khatti meethi dal with steamed rice or jeera rice.
in the absence of kokum, you can add about 1 tbsp lemon juice or as required in the dal. add the lemon juice towards the end once the dal is done and then give a stir.