Sauce Piquante II
- 1/4 cup olive oil plus
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped onions
- 3 tablespoons chopped green bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon minced seeded jalapeño peppers
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 cup chopped peeled and seeded tomatoes
- 3 bay leaves
- Creole seasoning to taste
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon finely-chopped parsley
Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a non-reactive saucepan over high heat. Add the onions, green pepper, jalapeños, garlic, thyme, and oregano. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté for 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, bay leaves, Creole seasoning, pinch of crushed red pepper and stock. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
Remove from the heat. Pour the mixture into a blender and drizzle in the remaining 1/4 cup oil while the motor is running. Pour back in the saucepan and stir in the parsley. Serve warm.
This recipe yields 1 1/3 cups.