Grilled Shrimp With Sweet Potato Fritters
- 2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes - (abt 2 med-large)
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup fine dried bread crumbs - (to 1 1/2 cups)
- Freshly-ground white pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 2 dozen medium shrimp - (abt 2 lbs) peeled, tail on
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Creole seasoning to taste
- 1 1/2 cups Bourbon BBQ Sauce (see recipe)
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions, green part only
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Season the potatoes with the oil and salt. Place on a baking sheet and roast until tender, about 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool completely. Remove the skin and discard.
In a mixing bowl, mash the potatoes until smooth. Add the egg and bread crumbs, mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Preheat the grill. Preheat the oil to 360 degrees.
Season the shrimp with the oil and Creole seasoning. Place 4 to 5 shrimp on each skewer. Place on the grill and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until the shrimp turn pink and the tails curl completely in.
Place a spoonful of the sweet potato mixture into the hot oil and fry in batches until golden. Remove and drain on paper towels. Season with Creole seasoning.
To serve, spoon some of the BBQ Sauce in the center of each plate. Place a couple of the fritters in the center of the sauce. Cross 2 of the skewers and lay against the fritters. Garnish with green onions.
This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings.