Fried Oyster Poor Boys, Bbq Sauce, Crunchy Blue Cheese Slaw
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup blue cheese
- 2 cups shredded white cabbage
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 cup thinly-sliced red onion
- 1 tablespoon finely-chopped parsley leaves
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup masa flour
- Creole seasoning to taste
- 32 large Louisiana oysters
- 1 cup Emerils BBQ Sauce (see recipe)
- 8 individual French bread rolls or pistolletts
In a small mixing bowl, whisk the oil and vinegar together. Add the shallots and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Whisk well. Fold in the blue cheese and continue to whisk until well blended.
In a medium mixing bowl, combine the cabbages and onion. Add the dressing and mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Add the parsley and mix well. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.
In a shallow bowl, combine the flours. Season with Creole seasoning. Season the oysters with Creole seasoning. Dredge the oysters in the seasoned flour, coating completely. Fry in batches until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels. Season with Creole seasoning.
To assemble, spread the BBQ sauce over both sides of the rolls. Place 3 or 4 of the oysters on the bottom of each roll. Spoon some of the slaw over the oysters. Place the top of each roll over the slaw and serve.
This recipe yields 8 servings.