Gluten Free Gingerbread (King Arthur yellow cake mix)
This moist and tasty gingerbread, made with our Gluten-Free Yellow Cake Mix, is delicious served with whipped cream, applesauce, or a combination of whipped cream and a light drizzle of cinnamon cider glaze.
- 1 box King Arthur Gluten-Free Yellow Cake Mix
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground cloves and ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 4 large eggs
- 2/3 cup buttermilk or 1/2 cup liquid whey (the liquid drained from yogurt)
Adapted from kingarthurflour.com
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 9" x 13" pan.
2) Whisk together the cake mix, spices, and baking soda.
3) In a separate bowl, beat the butter with half the cake mix/spices.
4) Beat in the molasses, vinegar, and one of the eggs.
5) Add the remaining eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
6) Add the buttermilk alternately with the remaining dry mix, one-third of each at a time. Beat until smooth, scraping the bowl after each addition.
7) Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
8) Bake the gingerbread for 40 to 45 minutes, until it's brown and firm on top. Its internal temperature should be between 210°F and 212°F.
9) Remove the cake from the oven, and cool it on a rack for 15 minutes before slicing.
Yield: one 9" by 13" cake.