Creamy Squash Pudding
- 10 cups thinly sliced yellow squash (about 8 large)
- l/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (8-ounce) package sliced baby portabella mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2-1/2 cups whole milk or 1/2 and 1/2
- 6 large eggs
- 1 (5-ounce) package shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- l-1/2 cups crushed round buttery crackers
Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease a 3-quart baking dish.
In a large Dutch oven, combine squash and water to cover. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes, or until squash is tender. Drain well.
In a large skillet, melt l/2 cup butter over medium-high heat. Add onion, mushrooms, and garlic; cook for 5 minutes, or until tender. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper; cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes. Add cream cheese, stirring until melted. Remove from heat.
In a large bowl, whisk together milk and eggs. Stir in cheeses, onion mixture, and squash. Spoon into prepared baking dish.
In a small bowl, combine crackers and 2 tablespoons melted butter; sprinkle evenly over squash mixture. Bake for 1 hour, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.