Curried Sweet Potato and Quinoa Soup
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp minced gingerroot
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp freshly grated orange zest
- 2 cups sweet potato purée (see Tip)
- 6 cups reduced-sodium vegetable stock
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Toasted chopped walnuts or sliced almonds
1. In a large saucepan or stockpot, heat oil over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add
onions, carrots and celery and cook, stirring, until carrots have softened, about 7
2. Add garlic, ginger, curry powder and orange zest and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add
sweet potato and stock and stir well. Bring to a boil. Stir in quinoa. Reduce heat to low.
Cover and simmer until quinoa is tender and flavors have blended, about 30 minutes.
3. Add orange juice and maple syrup and heat through. Season to taste with salt and
pepper. Ladle into bowls and garnish with toasted.
Tip: To get this quantity of puréed sweet potato, bake, peel and mash 2 medium sweet
potatoes, each about 6 oz. You can also use a can (14 oz) of sweet potato purée.