Pulled Pork and Beans
- olive oil
- 1 - 2 lb. pork shoulder, country style ribs, or tenderloin
- 2 cups cooked red kidney beans, or a 19 oz. (540ml.) can, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups cooked white kidney beans, or a 19 oz. (540ml.) can, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup ketchup (or half ketchup, half bottled chili sauce
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, or balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. grainy yellow mustard
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, crushed
- a few drops of tabasco
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
If you want to boost flavor in the finished dish, heat a drizzle of oil in a heavy skillet set over medium high heat and brown the meat on all sides before transferring it to a slow cooker or baking dish.
Add the remaining ingredients (except the barbecue sauce), cover, and cook on low for 6 - 8 hours (in a slow cooker) or in a 300F oven for 4 - 4 1/2 hours, until the pork falls apart when you poke it with a fork.
Skim as much fat as you can off the surface and pull the pork apart, right in with the beans, using 2 forks. Take out any bones if you used bone-in pork. Stir in the barbecue sauce if you like.
Serve straight up, over rice, or sloppy joe style on soft buns or slabs of cheese bread.