Fresh Strawberry-Cream Cheese Tart
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup confectioners sugar see step 1
- 3 tablespoons confectioners sugar see step 5
- 10 tablespoons butter or margarine chilled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- 6 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel) softened
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 3 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 1/2 pound strawberries stems and leaves discarded and each berry cut lengthwise in half
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 25mins
1.In food processor with knife blade attached, combine flour, salt, and 1/3 cup sugar; pulse until blended. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add vanilla, then ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, pulsing until moist clumps form. Gather dough into ball; flatten into disk. Wrap disk in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm enough to roll, about 1 hour. (If chilled overnight, let dough stand 30 minutes at room temperature before rolling.)
2.Preheat oven to 375 degrees. On a large sheet of parchment paper, with floured rolling pin, roll dough into 12-inch round. Using 11-inch dinner plate as guide, and with sharp knife, cut 11-inch round from dough; discard trimmings.
3.Transfer round, still on parchment, to large cookie sheet. Press one index finger against outside edge of dough round; with index finger and thumb of other hand, push dough around fingertip toward center form a flute. Repeat around edge to make a decorative border. Refrigerate or freeze, on cookie sheet, about 10 minutes to firm dough slightly.
4.Bake dough 20 to 25 minutes or until golden. Cool crust completely on cookie sheet on wire rack, about 20 minutes.
5.When crust is cool, in medium bowl, with spoon, mix cream cheese, sour cream, crystallized ginger, and remaining 3 tablespoons sugar until blended. Spread cream cheese mixture on crust. Arrange strawberries, wide ends down, in concentric circles in cream cheese mixture to cover.