Balsamic Braised Short Ribs
- 6 bone-in short ribs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil
- 2 leeks, white only, sliced
- 2 medium yellow onions, sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 quart unsalted beef stock
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 180mins
In a large, heavy bottomed pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Sear the short rigs for 3-4 minutes on each side until well browned. Reserve.
Add the leeks, onions, carrots, celery and garlic to the pot and cook until well browned, stirring occasionally, about 12-15 minutes. Add the red pepper flakes, salt, pepper and tomato paste and cook until the paste is brick reddish brown, 6-7 minutes.
Add the Dijon mustard, rosemary sprigs, balsamic vinegar and brown sugar. Scrape the bottom of the pot to incorporate. Return the short ribs to the pot and add the beef stock. Bring the mixture to a low simmer and cover.
Either leave the pot on the stove top on low heat or place in a 325ºF for 1½ to 2 hours, until the short ribs are very tender.
Remove the short ribs and tent with foil. Remove the solids from the liquid and boil until the liquid is reduced to about 1 cup. Drizzle the glaze over the short ribs and serve.
Serve with mashed potatoes, rice or pasta.