Bacalhau A Gomes De Sa (Salt Cod, Onions And Potatoes)
- 1 1/2 pounds salt cod
- 1/2 cup olive oil plus
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups thinly-sliced onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 2 pounds white potatoes sliced 1/4" thick, and cooked until tender
- 4 hard-boiled eggs
- 8 black olives
- 1 tablespoon finely-chopped fresh parsley leaves
Soak the cod in cold water to cover for 24 to 36 hours, changing the water occasionally, drain. Flake the cod into small pieces, removing any bones. Set aside.
In a large sauté pan, over medium heat, add 1/4 cup of the oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions and the garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté until slightly golden, about 6 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a medium ovenproof casserole dish with 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
Season the potatoes with salt and pepper. Spread half of the potatoes over the bottom of the prepared dish. Sprinkle half of the salt cod over the potatoes. Place half of the onion mixture over the salt cod. Top the onion mixture with more salt cod. Place another layer of potatoes over the top of the cod. Drizzle the entire pan with the remaining 1/4 cup of oil. Place in the oven and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until golden.
Place on a serving platter. Garnish with the sliced eggs, olives, and parsley.
This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (888 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.4/5 (893 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (741 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (498 Votes)
- Famous Red Lobster Shrimp Scampi 4.5/5 (487 Votes)
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (452 Votes)
- Creamy Shrimp & Mushroom Pasta 4.5/5 (263 Votes)
- Easy & Healthy Shrimp Scampi 4.5/5 (194 Votes)