Cabbage, Fried with Bacon
Makes 4 - 8 servings depending on the amount of cabbage used. One medium head of cabbage 5 to 6 inches in diameter will make about 6 servings of cooked cabbage. This size cabbage will yield 6 to 8 cups raw cabbage.
- 3 or 4 slices thickly sliced lean bacon, cut in 1/2-inch segments or squares. (lean Canadian-style bacon most resembles Irish bacon)
- 1/2 C. chopped or thinly sliced onion
- 4 to 6 C. coarsely chopped cabbage
- Salt to taste (bacon may supply all the seasoning needed)
- 1/4 C. chopped parsley
Preparation time 30mins
Place bacon pieces in large skillet or pan and saute over medium heat until bacon begins to curl and caramelize. Add onion, stirring with bacon and continue cooking until bacon is almost done. Cover with a blanket of chopped cabbage and reduce heat slightly. After a couple of minutes, turn cabbage to distribute bacon and onion throughout until cabbage softens, cooking through (about 5 more minutes). Cover and cook about 10 - 15 additional minutes.
Taste for seasoning and sprinkle with parsley.
Serve while warm.
Cooking Notes: Stir this recipe into mashed potatoes for a quick version of colcannon. Combined with mashed potatoes and egg, this cabbage and bacon enhanced potato batter can be fried in vegetable or canola oil to make patties. Coarsely chopped raw cabbage will cook down by half or third in volume. Any unused uncut cabbage stores best tightly wrapped in the crisper drawer. This recipe delivers great fried cabbage and bacon flavor in quick cooking time compared to older traditional cooking methods that boil cabbage before combining with bacon. Leftovers unlikely.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (890 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.4/5 (898 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (741 Votes)
- Sausage, Egg & Biscuit Casserole 4.5/5 (707 Votes)
- Crockpot Cheese Tortellini and... 4.5/5 (679 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (498 Votes)
- Bacon Cheddar Potato Cakes 4.5/5 (273 Votes)
- Bacon Breakfast Enchiladas 4.4/5 (234 Votes)