Eggs, Ham and Spring Peas
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 5 cloves garlic:, minced
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 3 cups green peas (fresh or frozen)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 red bell peppers,roasted and peeled, one diced and one cut
- into 1/4 inch strips
- 2 oz serrano ham or prosciutto, cut into thin strips
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 60mins
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. In a large, heavy skillet, heat oil for 30 seconds.
Add onion, salt, and pepper. Cook over medium heat for 10 to 12
minutes or until onion is soft and golden. Add garlic; cook for 5
minutes, stirring often.
3. Meanwhile, toast pine nuts in a dry pan over low heat until slightly
golden and aromatic, 4 to 6 minutes. Add to skillet, along with peas
and water. Simmer for 5 minutes or until peas are cooked. Add basil,
diced bell pepper, and ham; bring to a boil.
4. Remove skillet from heat. Spread pea mixture evenly in a 9-inch round
or square ceramic or earthenware casserole dish or skillet. With the
back of a ladle, make 8 indentations in pea mixture. Break eggs
carefully, one at a time, into a bowl and slide each into an
indentation. Frame eggs with bell pepper strips and sprinkle all with
cheese. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until eggs are cooked to your