Mango and Sticky Rice
A friend purchased a special sticky rice steamer pot and basket, which is basically a cool, urn-shaped pot with a hat-like straw basket that lies on top. Search for it on Amazon -- last I checked it cost around US$14.00. Also, you'll need some cheesecloth to wrap the sticky rice in during steaming.
- 1 mango, peeled and sliced
- 1 C sticky rice
- 1 C coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 pinches salt (or more to taste)
1. Soak the sticky rice in enough water to cover the rice for at least an hour and even overnight.
2. Bring a couple of inches of water to boil in the sticky rice steamer pot.
3. Drain and rinse rice. Pour rice into center of cheese cloth and wrap up. Place bundle into steamer basket and place basket on top of pot. Cover top of cheesecloth bundle with a small pot lid. Steam for 20-25 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, heat coconut milk in a small saucepan, stirring constantly. (Do not let it boil -- coconut milk curdles easily when boiled.) Add sugar, and salt to taste.
5. Unwrap rice and place in bowl. (You can "mold" it into a pleasing shape for presentation purposes.) Pour 3/4 of the coconut milk over the hot sticky rice. Let sit for 5 minutes. The sticky rice will absorb all of the coconut milk. (It will be a little mushy.)
6. Serve, spooning the rest of the coconut milk on top of the rice at serving time.