- Chicken Satay (Skewered Chicken):
- 4 to 6 large chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 8 ounces hoisin sauce (found in international section in grocery store)
- 4 to 5 cloves minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cooking sherry
- 12 to 16 skewers (if wooden, soak in water for 15 to 20 minutes)
- 1/2 cup roasted white and black sesame seeds
- Papaya Salad:
- 1 ripened papaya
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- Mixed greens
- 1/2 cup fresh large diced tomatoes
- "Hoisin" Balsamic Vinaigrette (pronounced Hoy - Seen):
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 small Maui sweet onion - sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4-6 sprigs fresh basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1/4 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Freshly cracked pepper
For the Chicken Satay: Combine the first 8 ingredients to coat chicken. Let marinate for 2 hours. Skewer 3 to 4 cubes of chicken per stick. Sprinkle chicken with sesame seeds. Set aside before grilling.
For the Papaya Salad: Cut papaya in half, seed and skin. Cut papaya into quarters, then cut into thin slices. Squeeze the lime juice over the papaya and arrange on plate over mixed greens.
For the "Hoisin" Balsamic Vinaigrette: Combine the first set of ingredients in blender. With blender on, emulsify by adding oil slowly until well blended. Add salt, sugar and pepper, to taste. Set aside.
Preheat grill to 400 degrees F. Place skewers on hot grill and cook 3 minutes then turn. Baste chicken with marinade. Cook chicken for another 3 minutes. Check chicken for doneness. Place the skewers over the salad and garnish with diced tomatoes. Drizzle with vinaigrette before serving.