Split Pea Soup
Done in the slow cooker... yummy and easy! Healthy comfort food. Add a ham hock during cooking if you have one for extra flavor.
WW Points Plus = 7 Points
- 3 cups split peas (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 large diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup finely diced celery
- 8 ounces ham, trimmed and diced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Place split peas in a medium bowl. Wash with cold water until the water runs clear; drain and spread in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker.
2. Add 2 teaspoons olive oil to saute pan and saute onion, carrots, and celery over medium heat until softened and onion translucent. Add vegetables to slow cooker.
3. Add broth, water, ham, ginger and marjoram to the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
4. Cover and cook for 5-6 hours on High or 7 to 8 hours on Low. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Per serving: 329 calories; 3 g fat ( 1 g sat , 1 g mono ); 16 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 28 g protein; 20 g fiber; 691 mg sodium; 1065 mg potassium.