Best Chicken Parmigiana
Find more recipes at:
May 29, 2014
- 3 ounces baked whole-grain wheat crackers, such as Triscuits (about 12)
- 1/3 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes (no salt added), with juice
- 1/2 medium onion (3 ounces), coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped (2 teaspoons)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large egg whites
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 3 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, grated (about 1 cup)
- 1 ounce pecorino Romano cheese, finely grated (about 1/2 cup)
Adapted from keyingredient.com
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Pulse crackers, parsley, oregano, and 1 teaspoon salt in a food processor until finely ground. Season with pepper, and transfer to a plate. Puree tomatoes with juice, onion, garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon salt with an immersion blender or in clean food processor until smooth.
Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with oil. Lightly whisk egg whites, and transfer to a shallow dish. Dip each chicken breast half in whites to fully coat; let excess drip off. Dredge chicken in crumb mixture, lightly pressing, to coat both sides.
Transfer chicken to prepared baking dish, and flip once to coat in oil. Bake until crisp, about 10 minutes.
Pour tomato sauce over chicken, allowing some sauce underneath each piece. Top with cheeses, and bake until bubbling and top is lightly browned, 15 to 20 minutes.
You'll also love
- Sauté Chicken Breast with Wine... 4.6/5 (16 Votes)
- Chicken and Stuffing Casserole 4.6/5 (16 Votes)
- Chicken & Rice Casserole 4.4/5 (17 Votes)
- Easy Chicken Chili 4.5/5 (24 Votes)
- Baked Teriyaki Chicken 4.5/5 (24 Votes)
- Oven Fried Chicken Legs & Thighs 4.5/5 (20 Votes)
- Chicken - Alice Springs 4.6/5 (15 Votes)
- Baked Paprika-Parmesan Chicken 4.5/5 (21 Votes)