Chewy Cherry-Almond Bars
Got this from Gram's Family Circle Hometown Favorites book.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose
- 2 cups regular rolled oats
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 12-ounce jar (1 cup) cherry preserves
1. Preheat oven to 350. Line a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan. Grease foil; set pan aside.
2. In a large bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar and baking powder. Beat until combined, scraping side of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg and almond extract until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour, the oats, and almonds.
3. Remove 1/2 cup of the dough and set aside. Press the remaining dough evenly into prepared baking pan. Spread with preserves. Crumbled the reserved 1/2 cup dough evenly over preserves layer.
4. Bake, uncovered, about 35 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Using edges of foil, lift uncut bars out of pan. Cut into bars