Slow cooker Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
- 2 T vegetable oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs, more, mixture breasts & thighs , cubed
- 4 chorizo sausages or mil Italian sausages, sliced
- 2 onions diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 1 sweet red pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 t paprika
- 1 t dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/4 t pepper
- 1/2 c dry white wine or chicken stock
- 3 T tomato paste
- 1 pkg (250 g ) frozen okra, thawed and sliced
- 1/2 c chopped fresh parsley
- 1 can (28oz/706ml diced tomatoes
In large skillet, heat half of the oil over med-high heat brown chicken and sausage. Transfer to slow cook. Drain any fat from the pan.
Add remaining oil to skillet cook onions, celery, red pepper, garlic, paprika, thyme, bay leaves, salt and pepper until lightly golden abt 8 mins. Add to slow cooker.
Add wine to skillet bring to boil scraping up any browned bits. Add to slow cooker. Add tomatoes, broth, tomato paste and 1/2c water. Cover cook on low for 4 to 6 hours and chicken cubes are still whole. Discard by leaves.
Stir in okra and parsley, cover and cook on high for 15 mins.