Gnocchi with Browned Butter
- 2 (12-ounce) baking potatoes, unpeeled
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 1/2 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnut halves
- 1/2 ounce fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano or Grana Padano cheese, grated
1. Bake potatoes in oven for 1 hour at 400 degrees. Cool; peel. Press potato flesh through a ricer. Spread potatoes on a baking sheet; sprinkle with salt. Cool.
2. Scoop potatoes into a large bowl. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup. Add flour, and toss. Form a well in center. Add 2 tablespoons chives, pepper, and eggs; stir. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Gently knead just until dough comes together (about 1 minute).
3. Cut dough into 4 equal portions, and roll each into a 22-inch-long rope. Cut each rope into 22 pieces. Score gnocchi with a fork. Cook half of gnocchi 3 minutes in boiling water. Repeat with remaining gnocchi; drain.
4. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic; cook for 2 minutes. Add nuts; cook 2 minutes or until butter browns. Discard garlic. Set aside half of butter mixture. Add half of gnocchi to pan; toss. Cook 1 minute or until browned. Repeat with remaining butter and gnocchi. Divide gnocchi evenly among 4 shallow bowls. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons chives and cheese.