Open-Face Reubens with Red Cabbage Slaw
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 head red cabbage, very thinly sliced
- 1 small honey crisp apple, chopped
- 1 cup unfiltered cider
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons dill pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 4 large slices good-quality marble rye bread
- 1 pound deli-sliced roast pork or mild imported ham
- 8 deli slices emmentaler
1.In a large skillet, heat the oil, 1 turn of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the cabbage and cook to wilt. Stir in the apple, cider, brown sugar, vinegar and caraway seeds; season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and cook, tossing occasionally with tongs, until the liquid is evaporated, about 15 minutes.
2.In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, ketchup, relish, lemon juice and hot sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
3.Slather the bread with the sauce. Layer each slice with some of the slaw, loosely piled pork (or ham) and 2 cheese slices. Broil to melt. Pass extra slaw at the table.