Fried White Anchovies With An Andalusian Pepper Salad
- 1 pound green bell peppers roasted and peeled
- 1 pound red bell peppers roasted and peeled
- 1/2 cup small-diced Spanish onions
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- Spanish extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 2 pounds fresh white anchovies eviscerated
- Flour as needed
- Olive oil for frying
- Fresh parsley for garnish
Thinly slice the peppers. In a mixing bowl, combine the sliced peppers, onions, garlic and vinegar. Mix well. Drizzle in enough Spanish olive oil to moisten the salad. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
In an electric fryer or deep pot, preheat the oil to 365 degrees. Season both the anchovies and the flour with salt and pepper. Dredge the anchovies in the seasoned flour, coating completely. Fry until golden brown and crispy, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels. Season with salt and pepper.
To serve, spoon some of the pepper salad in the center of each serving plate. Lay the anchovies around the salad. Garnish with parsley.
This recipe yields 6 servings.