Crunchy Baked Okra
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup fat free buttermilk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 lb fresh okra pods, trimmed and cut into 3/4 inch slices
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Combine cornmeal, panko bread crumbs, 1/2 tsp salt, black pepper, and red pepper in a shallow dish; set aside.
3. Combine buttermilk and egg in a large bowl; stir with a whisk
4. Add okra to buttermilk mixture; toss to coat. Let stand 3 minutes.
5. Dredge okra in cornmeal/crumb mixture.
6. Place okra in a jelly roll pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle remaining salt over the okra.
7. Bake for 30-35 mintues, stirring once, until okra is golden brown and crispy