Tofu Triangles with Creamy Nut Butter Sauce w/Scallions
- Tofu Triangles:
- 1 carton firm tofu, pressed
- 2 tablespoons peanut or sesame oil, for frying
- 2 scallions including the greens, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1 tablespoon toasted white or black sesame seeds
- Creamy Nut Butter Sauce:
- 1/4 cup regular soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1/4 cup sesame paste, peanut butter, or cashew butter
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons white or light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes or chili oil
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup water or stock
- Pinch salt
1. Press tofu then slice crosswise into scant 1/ 2-inch slabs, then cut each slab into 2 triangles.
2. Heat a large cast-iron or nonstick skillet and add the oil. When hot, add the tofu and fry over medium-high heat until golden. Turn and cook on the second side. Meanwhile, combine all the ingredients for the sauce in a small food processor and puree until smooth. Taste for salt and add a little extra, if needed.
3. When the tofu is done, pour in half the sauce and cook until bubbling and partially reduced. Turn off the heat, scatter the scallions and sesame seeds over the top, and bring to the table.