- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1/2 pound Gruyère cheese grated
- 1/2 pound Vacherin cheese grated
- 4 ounces Kirsch
- 1 pinch freshly-grated nutmeg
- Freshly-ground white pepper to taste
- 1 loaf French bread cubed, lightly toasted
Rub the inside of the fondue pot or saucepan, with the crushed garlic clove. Discard the garlic. Add the wine and bring to a simmer. Dissolve the cornstarch in the water and whisk into the wine. Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and whisk in the cheese, a little at a time. Stir in the Kirsch and season with the nutmeg and pepper. Serve the fondue with the toasted cubes of bread.
This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.